A driver has told of his shock when he saw a body lying in the middle of a busy motorway.
Part of the London-bound M20 near Ashford in Kent is still closed between junctions nine and 10 after police made the discovery at 6.05pm on Tuesday. The person was pronounced dead at the scene.
An accountant from Ashford said he was driving onto the coastbound stretch of motorway at about 6.20pm when he saw emergency services on the opposite side of the road.
The 21-year-old, who asked not to be named, told the Press Association: “As I entered the motorway I expected to see a crash when I suddenly realised that it wasn’t and unfortunately it appeared to be a body lying in the central lane with police and ambulance staff around it.
“Because of the torches being shone by police [I could see] it appeared that the body had been struck by vehicles.
“It was very shocking. It is not a sight I would want anyone to witness.
“My condolences are with the family of the deceased.”
His comments come as Kent Police appealed for drivers to check their vehicles for any signs of a collision and look at dash cam footage.
Officers are no longer appealing for the driver of a silver Nissan Qashqai with the registration KY15 WWX to come forward after a man attended a police station on Wednesday evening. The force said it is still appealing for information from anyone who saw the car driving along the road between 5.30pm and 6.30pm on Tuesday.
Officers from the Kent and Essex Serious Crime Directorate, which investigates offences like murder and organised crime, are trying to determine the cause of death which is currently being treated as unexplained.
The incident caused hours of delays with between six and seven miles of queues stretching back to junction 11 and a diversion was in place. The road and the exit slip road reopened shortly after 4pm and delays have cleared, police and highways officials said.
At 8am on Wednesday, four cars and a lorry were involved in a collision on the opposite stretch of the same section of motorway. It was closed to all traffic for several hours but has since re-opened.
A 42-year-old man who was driving the lorry has been arrested on suspicion of dangerous driving and remains in police custody.
A man and a woman were taken to hospital to be treated for their injuries.
Detective Chief Inspector Richard Vickery said: “We do not underestimate the impact that closing this stretch of the motorway had on people and I would like to thank drivers who were delayed for their patience while we ensured that all evidence was collected before the motorway was reopened.”