Dogs alert owners to huge house fire by barking in early hours

- Advertisement -

Dogs alerted their owners to a huge fire at a house in Essex by barking in the early hours of the morning.

Fire crews extinguished the blaze which ripped through the detached house in Dunmow Road, Takeley, after being called at 2.43am on Sunday.

Essex Fire Service said they managed to save horses at a nearby stable, reportedly with the help of neighbours, who described waking to a “sea of orange”.

The blaze ripped through the detached house (Essex Fire Service/PA)

Station manager Terry Maher said: “The owners were alerted to the fire by their dogs barking in the early hours of this morning.

“The fire started in an outbuilding at the rear of the property and quickly spread to the roof of the house.

“Crews worked incredibly hard, particularly due to the limited water supply, and did a fantastic job in saving the property and horses who were in a nearby stable.”

Crews put the fire out despite a limited water supply (Essex Fire Service/ PA)

A neighbour told BBC News they woke to find the couple, who live in the house, in the garden with their two Chihuahuas.

Another spoke of helping crews lead three horses from nearby stables.

The house has been left uninhabitable (Essex Fire Service/PA)

“They were really good in the circumstances, but they were obviously traumatised by what was going on as there were blue lights everywhere, there was the fire and it was dark.

“You’re on autopilot then afterwards the shock hits you, but you can’t leave a horse to die of smoke inhalation.”

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Latest Stories

- Advertisement -

UK News

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Read the latest free supplements

Read the Town Crier, Le Rocher and a whole host of other subjects like mortgage advice, business, cycling, travel and property.