Three Palestinians have been killed in an Israeli army raid in a West Bank refugee camp.
According to the Palestinian Health Ministry, the three men were killed during a raid in Balata, a refugee camp near the city of Nablus.
Six people were wounded, including one who is in a critical condition.
The army later confirmed soldiers had raided Balata, and said troops came under fire and killed three Palestinians.
Israel has stepped up raids in response to a spate of Palestinian attacks and said Monday’s operations netted weapons and an explosives manufacturing operation in a home, which it detonated.
In March, the Israeli government repealed a 2005 act that dismantled four West Bank settlements.
Over the weekend, the top Israeli army general in the West Bank signed an order attaching Homesh to a local settler regional council — a move paving the way for reconstruction of the outpost.
The United States is “deeply troubled” by what US State Department spokesman Mathew Miller said was Israel’s illegal policy on the outpost in the occupied territory.
Mr Miller also expressed Washington’s concerns about ultranationalist National Security Minister Itmar Ben-Gvir’s visit to the Temple Mount, the holiest site in Judaism. The contested site is also home to the Al-Aqsa Mosque, the third-holiest site in Islam.
“This holy space should not be used for political purposes, and we call on all parties to respect its sanctity,” Mr Miller said.
Mr Ben-Gvir has long called for increased Jewish access.
Mr Ben-Gvir visited the hilltop compound earlier on Sunday, declaring that “we are in charge” while the Israeli Cabinet held a rare meeting in Jerusalem’s Old City to celebrate its control of the area.
Mr Ben-Gvir’s visit drew condemnations from the Palestinians and Israel’s neighbour Jordan.
Mr Ben-Gvir, a former West Bank settler leader and far-right activist who years ago was convicted of incitement and supporting a Jewish terror group, now serves as Israel’s national security minister, overseeing the country’s police force.
More than 250 Palestinians have been killed by Israeli fire since the spring of 2022. About 50 people have been killed in Palestinian attacks against Israelis.
Israel says most of the Palestinians killed were militants but stone-throwing youths protesting against the incursions and people not involved in the confrontations have also been killed.
Last week, Israelis marked Jerusalem Day, which celebrates Israel’s capture of east Jerusalem, including the Old City, in the 1967 Middle East war.
Israel also captured the West Bank and the Gaza Strip in the 1967 Middle East war. The Palestinians seek those territories for a future independent state, with east Jerusalem as its capital.
Israel annexed east Jerusalem in a move unrecognised by most of the international community and considers the city its undivided, permanent capital.
Tensions at the disputed compound have fuelled past rounds of violence.
Israeli prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s government, the most right-wing in Israeli history, includes ultra-Orthodox and far-right nationalist parties and has made West Bank settlement construction a top priority.
Most of the international community considers Israeli settlements, home to 700,000 people in the West Bank and east Jerusalem, to be illegal and obstacles to peace.
Earlier this month, fighting also erupted between Israel and militants in the Gaza Strip. Israeli strikes killed 33, many of them militants but also women and children. Two people were killed in Israel by militant rocket fire.