The fire caused damage to the living room and kitchen of 2 Mariner Cottages.
Two toddlers and their mother escaped, and were taken to hospital suffering from smoke inhalation.
They have since been released.
The fire is thought to have been caused by candles left on top of a television.
It destroyed Christmas presents, decorations and clothes.
Mr Russell said: ‘We knew a fire like this would happen some time, it was just a matter of where and when.’The incident shows how important it is to have a fire plan for the family, and also that candles, like children, should never be left unsupervised.’