Baker and Nafkha fire Jersey to win

- Advertisement -

It was a victory Jersey deserved after creating the better of the chances throughout but with just one goal in it Guernsey were always in with a chance of taking the match into extra time.

But they were held at bay by some solid Jersey defending and in the second period Guernsey forced just two saves out of Jersey goalkeeper Curtis Hinault who tipped over a rising shot and then finger-tipped away a free kick both from Stuart Rousell.

The boot was on the other foot in the opening 40 minutes, however, as Guernsey stopper Adam Bullock kept his colleagues in the game with excellent positional play and blocks with his feet from Elijah Bremmer-Hotton, twice, and Kamen Nafkha.

Guernsey had started brightly and Kane de Carteret had an effort cleared off the goal-line by Jamie Bowkett before Jacques Ogier shot Guernsey ahead with a low angled drive from 15 yards.

Jersey had the upper hand with possession and chances and Marco Zocchi’s curling long range effort from out on the right wing cannoned back into play off the crossbar with Bullock grasping fresh air!

In time added on for stoppages Jersey equalised when Baker, with a lot to do, beat two defenders before firing home from 12 yards on Jersey’s left.

It was a goal Jersey richly deserved and 54 seconds after the break, after Guernsey had twice partially cleared their lines, Nafkha picked up a loose ball on the right to drill home another low shot to put Jersey 2-1 ahead.

Nafkha should have made it 3-1 minutes later but after rounding a defender and then Bullock he had the goal at his mercy but from close range he missed a golden opportunity from a couple of yards.

Guernsey gave a better account of themselves in the second half but they were unable to prise open Jersey’s defence in which Ciaran Devereux, Daniel Berry, Clayton Romeril and Jamie Bowkett all made telling interceptions and tackles to keep Guernsey at bay.

A succession of substitutions in the closing ten minutes interrupted the flow of the game and although Guernsey pressed hard it was without threat.

Jersey coach Russell Le Feuvre, who has been assisted by Craig Northedge, said: ‘Guernsey made it difficult for us in the end but overall I thought we were the better side throughout.

‘The boys have had a fantastic season and we could not have asked anymore from them throughout; their commitment and support of each other has been superb.

‘The game was a credit to Channel Islands football too; it was hard fought and close and as quarter-finalists in a National competition that closeness shows the standard in both islands and the quality of players we are now producing.

‘It was magic to score the goals when we did; it was certainly not planned but the first gave us the momentum. The second was a big blow to Guernsey and a massive boost to us and we had chances to add to our score.

‘The back four were outstanding today; you could certainly see that they had played together before.’

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Latest Stories

- Advertisement -

UK News

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Read the latest free supplements

Read the Town Crier, Le Rocher and a whole host of other subjects like mortgage advice, business, cycling, travel and property.