Guests and staff at the Hotel de France were forced to leave the building after the oil in the pan burst into flames.
Smoke filled the building as chefs struggled to put out the blaze with fire blankets. When firefighters arrived they took over with extinguishers.
A crew then searched the building as smoke spread to the rooms above the kitchen.
A Jersey Fire and Rescue spokesman said today: ‘Two chefs had been working in the kitchen when the oil in the fryer burst into flames.
‘Reacting quickly, they limited the damage by throwing fire blankets over the appliance.
‘However, such is the heat from this type of fuel the blankets were unable to contain the fire.
‘To put out the fire a crew had to deploy a team wearing breathing apparatus and equipped with a high-pressure hose reel and fire extinguishers.
‘Additional crews were called as smoke was found throughout the upper floors of the hotel.’
He said that staff at the Hotel de France should be commended for the quick evacuation of guests.
‘The full evacuation was thoroughly well organised and achieved in a commendably short time,’ he said.