Hundreds of fans may miss out on Muratti final

- Advertisement -

HUNDREDS of football fans could miss this weekend’s Muratti final – as unfinished building work at Springfield Stadium has led to a reduced capacity for the game.

Supply issues have led to delays completing the work – which includes moving the high-fencing behind each goal backwards and making room for spectator-viewing areas – with the JFA confirming that they have had to set a reduced capacity as a result.

The JEP understands that the initial plan for Saturday’s game against Guernsey was for a 2,500 capacity. However, it is likely that 1,800 tickets will be made available as some sections of the stadium remain a building site.

In a statement, the JFA said: ‘Significant progress has been made [last] week but we are aware that some elements won’t be finished. We have, therefore, following dialogue with the Fire Service and the other stakeholders, set a reduced capacity based on works still needing to be finalised, but we should know more by the middle of this week as to whether we can increase those numbers.

‘We hope to have a positive meeting this week and be in a position to increase the numbers, but it will be determined by how much progress has been made.

‘We encourage supporters to buy their tickets online in advance.’

The work had initially been expected to take six weeks and to have been completed in March.

The Muratti was not held in 2020 or 2021 due to the pandemic, with Jersey winning the most recent final on penalties in 2019.

A government spokesperson confirmed that there was no danger that the ongoing building work would lead to the match being cancelled.

They said: ‘The contractors have experienced some delays to the work at Springfield due to ongoing issues with the supply of materials into the Island, which means the works will not be completed as previously scheduled.

‘Work will continue this week in the run up to the game. We therefore foresee no issues with the Muratti final being able to take place on 21 May.’

The spokesperson added that the capacity had been set following conversations with the JFA.

Earlier this month, the JEP revealed that hundreds of Guernsey football fans are to have their Muratti trip to Jersey cut short following concerns from the States police over match-day disorder.

The Sarnians were due to arrive at 10.40am on Saturday, ahead of a 2pm kick-off. However, following a request from the States police, made through the Jersey FA, Condor delayed the crossing, which will now get into the Harbour at 12.30pm.

The return service is still due to depart at 6.30pm.

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Latest Stories

- Advertisement -

UK News

Read the latest free supplements

Read the Town Crier, Le Rocher and a whole host of other subjects like mortgage advice, business, cycling, travel and property.