A review of matchday operations at Hillsborough for Sheffield Wednesday’s home FA Cup tie against Newcastle last month has found “all aspects” of stadium safety were met.
Sheffield City Council and Wednesday commissioned a review after complaints of overcrowding and a lack of stewarding in the Leppings Lane end, where 4,500 Newcastle fans saw their side lose the third-round tie 2-1.
Wednesday said in a statement: “A review at Hillsborough Stadium over concerns about crowd movements has concluded, stating that all aspects of safety at the stadium complied fully with the club’s safety certificate.
“Minor recommendations were made relating to the overall matchday experience.”
Wednesday said matchday operations on the day were also reviewed by the Sports Ground Safety Authority “who agreed with the findings”.
The club said the Football Association and English Football League had been “notified of observations from the fixture, with no additional requirements asked of the club or at the stadium”.
Sheffield City councillor Joe Otten said: “We have carried out a thorough review looking at all the evidence available as well as speaking to fans, officials and stewards who were present on the day. We’ve also reviewed all matchday operation plans.
“Our findings show full compliance at the stadium and no issues relating to the matchday operation. Some minor changes have been identified to improve the overall experience.
“As is normal procedure, we will continue working together, carrying out routine checks and sharing plans and knowledge to make sure everyone on site is safe and has the best experience possible.”
Ninety-seven Liverpool fans died as a result of a crush in the Leppings Lane end in the Hillsborough disaster in 1989.