Ospreys out of Champions Cup after Clermont defeat

- Advertisement -

Clermont are through to the quarter-finals of the Champions Cup as winners of Pool 2 thanks to a 24-7 victory over Ospreys – and bagged a home game in the knock-out stage.

The inability of the Welsh region to turn their first-half pressure into points meant they lost their chance of going through and opened the door for reigning champions Saracens to remain in the hunt for one of the three best runners-up spots.

Ospreys did well to hold out against a ferocious opening from the home side and were fortunate when TMO Stuart Terheege ruled out a try in the sixth minute for wing Remy Grosso for just creeping over the touchline as he dived in at the left corner.

Adam Beard then did well to get through a driving line-out and thwart what seemed an inevitable march for the try-line by the home pack and the fans had to wait until the 25th minute for the first score.

It was the scrum half general Morgan Parra that paved the way for the opening points as he chipped over the top of a ruck on the Ospreys 22 towards the posts.

There was nobody home for the Welsh side as the ball bounced in-goal, but wing Nick Abendanon chased faithfully and just got to the ball for a try. Parra added the simple conversion and then kicked two penalties to give the home side a 13 point lead at the break.

The Ospreys had just missed out on the chance of their first points on the stroke of half-time when Dan Biggar missed his first kick at goal in the tournament this season from the 10 metre line, but the Welsh outside half was at the heart of the move that got the visitors back into the contest just before the hour mark.

New Wales centre Owen Watkin had almost scored moments earlier after a brilliant break, ultimately losing the ball on the line by a steal from Abendanon, but a superb pop pass from Biggar released Scott Baldwin and the hooker’s pass found Ashley Beck on his own wide out on the left.

Beck’s try gave Biggar a massive conversion to try to bring his side within a score of the lead and he duly slotted the kick from the touchline. That made it 13-7 and gave the Ospreys a shot at victory in the last quarter.

A penalty conceded two metres inside their own half by the Ospreys then gave Parra the chance to shoot for goal and he made no mistake with another superb strike that meant the Ospreys had to score twice to win with 10 minute left.

Biggar left the field six minutes from time with his right shoulder in a shirt-sling after being hit hard in a ruck by number eight Fritz Lee. With Rhys Priestland already ruled out of the early rounds of the Six Nations with a hamstring injury, Wales head coach Warren Gatland will be hoping it is not a serious injury.

A Greig Laidlaw penalty after a collapsed scrum and a breakaway try from a turn-over on half-way by Luke McAlister completed a late surge from Clermont.

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Latest Stories

- Advertisement -

UK News

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Read the latest free supplements

Read the Town Crier, Le Rocher and a whole host of other subjects like mortgage advice, business, cycling, travel and property.