THREE people were lucky to be alive today after being saved from house fires by their quick-thinking neighbours.
Two people were rescued from their flat in Old St John’s Road on Saturday when smoke drifted into the property above, causing a child to suffer an asthma attack, which woke the child’s parents who then noticed the fire and called the emergency services.
Firefighters used a ladder to enter the property and found one occupant semi-conscious on the kitchen floor in a smoke-filled room. He was treated by firefighters and paramedics and was later taken to the Hospital suffering from smoke-inhalation and shock. Another person escaped from the property unharmed, which happened at about 5.20 am.
Five hours later a woman called the Fire and Rescue Service after spotting smoke coming from her neighbour’s house in La Grande Pièce, St Peter. Two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus entered the house and found a fire in the living room. Another team of firefighters then entered the property and rescued the owner of the house from an upstairs bedroom. He was treated by paramedics before being taken to hospital suffering from smoke inhalation.
Marc Le Cornu, the fire service’s community safety manager (pictured), said that neither property had a smoke alarm.
Meanwhile, in the early hours of Sunday a family escaped unharmed from a fire at their home in Ruette Pinel, St Helier, after being woken by their smoke alarm. Firefighters, who arrived at the scene to find the family stood in the garden, quickly extinguished a fire in the lounge.