Located at the St Brelade venue for almost a decade, netball is set to be without a home from March 2021 and there are fears that those with power to provide alternatives may have received mixed messages.
Extra breathing space was offered last week by the Bosdet Foundation, who manage Les Ormes, with one extra year being offered free of charge from March 2020, but JNA president Linda Andrews remains concerned that Island politicians may not appreciate the magnitude of their plight.
In response to a States Assembly question from Deputy Jess Perchard regarding the future of Island netball, Senator Steve Pallett said last week that ‘adequate facilities can be provided’ when the JNA leave Les Ormes.
Pallett referred to the seven indoor courts and nine outdoor courts currently available at government venues – including Langford, Oakfield, Fort Regent, FB Fields and Les Quennevais – while also hinting at usage within school sports halls.
However, in a letter sent to to the senator, the JNA said that meetings with the government’s sports division have led them to believe there is ‘very little opportunity to book these courts’ due to existing bookings. They also say they will not ‘advocate that other sports are displaced’ to benefit netball.
The letter added: ‘Whilst technically true that there is ample netball court provision on the Island, in practice that statement is misleading and we are very concerned that the Assembly now believe there is no problem to solve.’
Full story in Tuesday’s JEP.