A PROPOSED meeting to discuss the installation of two new padel courts at Caesarean Tennis Club has been postponed, in the wake of last week’s flooding.
Jersey Padel Club chief Richard Brocken had been set to update CTC members regarding his state-of-the-art plans on Tuesday, having had plans for construction approved last year. However, both he and the Caesarean have agreed that the proposed EGM should be delayed until the extent of the damage sustained at the venue has been assessed – and how long the recovery will take.
Brocken’s proposition was approved in principle by the CTC membership in 2021 but planning set-backs delayed the installation of the courts.
He said: ‘It has been a really frustrating time for us.
‘Jersey Padel Club remains without a place to call home and, for the last 18 months, there has been nothing more we could do.
‘The planning application is now through and we are ready to progress, but given the situation at the Caesarean, I don’t think it would be an appropriate time to discuss commencement, until there is further clarity from the insurers as to the extent ofthe damage and expected timeline.’
The installation of the courts will be funded entirely by Brocken, as well as a number of updates to the current facility.
The full proposal includes a renovation to the clubhouse interior and outdoor decking area, a covered area for spectators to watch over the padel courts, a new hitting wall, short tennis area and an updated pickleball space.
Brocken said: ‘Tennis was a huge part of my life for a number of years.
‘The Caesarean is a place I spent a lot of my time at and providing these improvements to the club and membership is a way I felt I could give back to a place that did so much for me.’